Pier to Pier 2019

This Race is now fully sold out, there will be no entries on the day

All Race Number transfers that have been correctly submitted have now been processed, no more transfers will be accepted, please DO NOT run with someone elses Race Number if it has not been transferred to yourself, anyone found doing so will be disqualified and banned from future Pier to Pier Races.

THE PIER TO PIER RACE 2019 WILL BE HELD ON 19 MAY 2019

Proud Main Sponsors of the Sunderland Strollers Pier to Pier Race 2019

We’re pleased to announce for 2019 the race is once again sponsored by PGS Law who are a leading full service law firm in South Shields, providing expert legal advice to private and business clients. We’re looking forward to seeing plenty of their team joining us on the day. We welcome the involvement of local businesses in supporting our event, if you would like to get involved please contact the Race Director.

You can enter online here.

This is one of the most scenic runs in the north east along the coastline from South Shields to Sunderland following the coastal paths.

The Run starts besides the Pier at South Shields (A bus sevice is available from finish to the start before the race, please choose this with your entry if you require it). After roughly a mile along the sandy beach the race moves to The Leas, here you can choose any route apart from the road or footpath down to Souter lighthouse.

Anyone using the road or footpath WILL be disqualified.

At Souter Lighthouse there is a water station and then the race moves to the coastal path down to Sunderland, eventually moving back to the beach for the finish.

The Whole race is approx 7 miles (11k) and starts at 10am.

In accordance with UK Athletics rules the use of headphones is NOT PERMITTED

You can enter the race here

Last year we received a large number of questions in relation to the race so we have created a FAQ which hopefully will answer any questions you may have

1. Do I have to be a member of a running club to enter
    No anyone is able to enter whether they are affiliated to a running club or not.
  2. Can I enter on the day
    Any remaining entries on the day will be available from 8:15am in the car park by the amusement arcade in South Shields. They will cost £30. Note this race has been a sell out for the last 2 years.
  3. Is there a set time I need to be able to run the course in to participate
    The race has a cut off time of 2 hours, the distance is approximately 7 miles. Therefore providing you are faster than around 17 minute miles you’ll be absolutely fine and very welcome. Last years final finisher completed the course in 108 minutes (that’s an average pace of over 15 minute miles).
  4. How do I amend my race entry (change of club or swap my number to someone else)
    Please email the Club Secretary Pier2Pier@sunderlandstrollers.co.uk. If you wish to transfer your number please send you replacements name replacement, name / DOB / email / UKA number (if applicable) and Club. Note transfers will be allowed until 2PM on 18 May provided full details have been received (Name/DOB/Email Address/UKA Registration Details). Any competitor found running with a Race Number that is not assigned to their name will be disqualified, removed from the results and not permitted to enter the race in the future.
  5. Are there any any mementos for this run
    There will be a goodie bag for all finishers. We pride ourselves on providing unusual and innovative goodies and we aim to do the same this year.
  6. Hi can you run to raise money for a charity?
    Yes your more than welcome to run in aid of your chosen charity
  7. Is there any return transport to south Shields after the race.
    No sorry there is only transport from Sunderland to the start before the race
  8. Do we collect our race number on the day or is it posted to us?
    Race numbers will be posted out before the race, for late entries they can be collected on the day, this will be communicated on the website.
  9. What time will the Buses leave Roker
    First bus will leave Roker at 8am, the last at 9:30am
  10. I entered the Pier2pier but haven’t received an email confirmation
    Every entrant should have receive an email, please check your  junk or spam folder.
  11. Is it possible to defer an entry should I be unable to run
    I’m sorry but the policy is no refunds or deferrals, numbers however can be transferred up until 2PM on 18 May.

70 Responses

1. Jean Bradley says:

I have tried 6 times to enter. Re tried tonight again twice and it just times me out when it comes to payment. Is anyone else having any problem?

2. Higgins says:

I have sent a FB message to the race director with regards to payment.
    I have concerns about the payment page.

• Harry Harrison says:

Have checked all of the payment arrangements, no concerns but due to the site being hosted in Germany it can offer some unusual options.

Harry Harrison
      Pier to Pier Race Director

3. Kim Matthews says:

I have had a problem with registering. I get right processing payment, then nothing!

• Harry Harrison says:

I’m afraid that the problem must be at your end as the website is working fine and taking new entries all the time. It may be that your anti-virus software is not liking that the website is Germany based, others have also experienced problems trying to register from work computers (NHS, HMRC etc) rather than from home.

4. Euan says:

Is there any age restrictions on this event

5. Jon Borley says:

Is this event sold out?

6. Lewis says:

Will there be a release of any more tickets? Was really hoping to do this and didn’t think it would sell out so soon.

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Lewis

I’m afraid there will be no more entries released, our total numbers are capped by English Athletics. If you can find someone who has an entry but can no longer run we will process transfer entries up to the day before.

Harry

7. Uma Nath says:

Hi

Is there a standard sponsorship form to use if I want to run the pier to pier this year, for charity. Or can I use any standard form to collect for the charity of my choice. I am already a registered entrant. thank you. Uma Nath

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Uma

There is no standard form, if you wish to raise money for charity by completing the Pier to Pier that is great, use any means that you can to raise monies – good luck
      Harry

8. Jackie Johnson says:

Do you have a waiting list for any further places that may become available?

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Jackie

No, we are not operating a waiting list as people don’t generally return their entries, they find another runner to take over their place. We ask that they let us know the details so that we can update the database.

Harry

9. Damien says:

When the race numbers are posted out do you also get confirmation of your bus reservation?

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Damien
      Yes, those who paid for their bus ticket on entry will have their ticket stuck to their race number. Don’t worry if you didn’t buy a ticket on entry, just bring £2 with you on the day. We have more buses than ever before this year so there should be plenty of room for everyone, first bus leaves at 8am.

Harry

10. Susan Scott says:

Can we still book the bus from Sunderland to South Shields before the race starts? We did not request this with our entry and are wondering if we can still arrange it now?
    Thanks a lot, Susan

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Susan
      No need to book, there will be plenty of space as we’ve added an extra bus this year. Just turn up at Roker from 8am with £2 and we’ll have you up at South Shields ready for the start.

11. Janet Scott says:

Thank you very much 4 today this is the third time i have done this race and have enjoyed it again atmosphere was brilliant and first time i have ran more than 3 miles without music. The goody bags are always amazing. See u all next year.

12. Bill McGuirk says:

Hi Harry, where can I access the results? Cheers, BillMcGuirk

13. Jeff Emmerson says:

When will entries open in November 2018 for 2019 Pier to Pier?

14. Kelly Stewart says:

hi when is the 2019 pier to pier out?

15. les williamson says:

When is the P2P entry to open

16. Stephen says:

Hi,
    I don’t think I booked the bus to get to the start, when I booked my entry.
    Is it still possible to book the bus?
    Many thanks,
    Stephen

17. ian says:

Hi
    Is there a postcode I can use for a park at Roker and do places on the bus need to be booked
    If so could I book a place

Many thanks

18. ian batey says:

Hi – Do I need to book a place on the bus

Many thanks

19. Ricky Davidson says:

Is it possible to pay for the bus from the finish to the start after entry has already been made? Many Thanks Ricky Davidson

20. Matt Walker says:

Hi, do you know when race numbers are being posted out? Thanks 🙂

21. Michael Sybenga says:

Hi, I am looking to transfer my number to another runner with South Shields Harriers. I have emailed the address above (as per point 4 above), but Microsoft has said the email address is not valid, so the message is undelivered.
    Is there another way to contact the Strollers Secretary to transfer my number?

22. les williamson says:

Is it too late to transfer entries ?

23. Steve brown says:

Can we still book transfer to shields please ?

24. Callum Greig says:

Hi there, I’ve signed up for the race and paid for it. but I’ve moved house and I cannot find my number, I’ve searched high and low but no luck. Just wondering if you could help me, I’d pay for another one I know it’s past the cut off though. Cheers

25. Allan Oliver says:

Hi, I put my entry in on the 3rd May. Will I just collect my race number on the day? Or will it posted still. Thanks in advance.

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Allan

Your Race Number will be available at the Baggage Van at South Shields on Sunday.

Harry

26. CHRISTINA WALKER says:

Good evening I have not received my number yet. Can you advise me if there could be a problem and it is lost in the post

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Christina

Your Race Number was posted to 3 Gorse Avenue towards the end of last week and should hopefully arrive before the weekend. If it doesn’t then we’ll be able to sort you out with a replacement.

Harry
      Race Director

• CHRISTINA WALKER says:

There has been a typo its 30 not 3 this is a vacant property so no chance of getting the number. How can I get a replacement please
        Thanks Christina

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Christina

The error I’m afraid is entirely yours as the details are exactly as you entered when making the entry, the same database is used to produce the address labels when we send out the race packs. Exceptionally I will reassign you to Race Number 1402. This will be available for collection at South Shields on Sunday morning. The collection point will be beside the Baggage Van.

Harry

27. David Williams says:

Hi Harry,
    I registered for the P2P race on March 11th, and paid for the race and bus.
    I have not received a number by post – last delivery was today 16th. Has my number been sent out but gone astray? Should I collect from somewhere?

28. CHRISTINA WALKER says:

thanks so much

29. Nick Hughes says:

Hi Harry,
    I haven’t received my race number (852). Can you please check it has been sent out & if I can collect on Sunday if not/or it does not arrive.
    Many thanks, Nick

30. Steve Irish says:

Hi, got my race number and bus ticket so thank you for organising. Quick question – what time do you recommend being at Roker for the bus and what time is the last bus? Cheers

• Harry Harrison says:

Hi Steve

Please try and get the earliest bus you can as it avoids us having to delay the race start if everyone tries to get the last one (we don’t have a bus that can take 200 runners!!).

Harry

31. Kate Mukungu says:

I know it is really close to the cut off for transfers but I have a place I can’t use. I’m flat out with a migraine. If anyone who wants a place who can shout out quickly happy to arrange a transfer.

32. Rachel says:

Hey,

Does anyone know of anyone who was taking photos of the event? And where I can view them 🙂 thanks